Even if your teeth seem to be healthy, there are many reasons why it makes sense to schedule regular dental check-ups. These consistent visits ensure your current dental health while also preventing potential issues in the future.
It might seem like a hassle to schedule another appointment in your busy schedule. But you won’t regret regular dental check-ups, especially when you understand the undeniable benefits of these general dentistry services.
Are You Supposed to Have Regular Dental Checks?
Yes, regular visits to see your dentist are important to maintaining a healthy smile that lasts a lifetime. How often is a regular dental check-up? The general recommendation is to visit your dentist for a checkup and cleaning twice a year: every 6 months.
If you haven’t been in for a dental checkup in a while, it’s time to reach out to our team at myDental to schedule an appointment and learn more about available services.
Top 5 Reasons for Regular Dental Check-Ups
Learn about the importance of a regular dental check-up, and you will see that many benefits are available when you are consistent about maintaining these appointments:
- Prevent Gum Disease: When plaque and tartar start to build up along the gum line, it increases the likelihood of gum disease. If these issues go untreated for too long, they can lead to serious complications. Gum disease causes irreversible gum recession, which could potentially cause tooth loss.
- Prevent Tooth Decay: During your dental checkup, the dentist will check for any signs of tooth decay. When these small cavities are detected in the earliest stages, it’s easier to implement preventive treatments before serious dental interventions are necessary. The dentist can provide recommendations to strengthen weakened enamel.
- Maintain a Healthy Smile: You only have one set of teeth, which is why regular dental care is important to protect your smile for life. Regular dental check-ups are important because you enjoy cosmetic benefits from these services. The removal of tartar and plaque build-up offers the benefit of reducing the risk of stains on the teeth.
- Oral Health Education: When you are talking with your dentist, you can ask questions about your dental routines. A good dentist will offer recommendations about habits and care practices you should be following at home to protect the health of your teeth and gums.
- Detect Potential Concerns: Dental X-rays and other diagnostic steps during the appointment can help your dentist identify potential issues in the earliest stages. There are seemingly minor issues that can be diagnosed before you are experiencing symptoms, such as impacted teeth or bone loss. Then, early interventions can be used to correct these issues before they turn into bigger concerns in the future.
If you are interested in learning more about the benefits of regular dental check-ups, then feel free to reach out to our team at myDental at any time. We are here to answer your questions!
Is a Dental Check-Up the Same as a Cleaning?
Many people use the terms “dental check-up” and “dental cleaning” as synonyms. While these services often go hand-in-hand, there are distinct differences between regular dental check-ups and dental cleanings.
What is a regular dental check-up? During this appointment, the dental hygienist and dentist look at all of the factors that indicate your dental health. They inspect the teeth and gums to identify potential signs of tooth decay or gum disease.
On the other hand, a dental cleaning is a time during the appointment when the dental hygienist is removing plaque and tartar, as well as polishing your teeth.
How Much Is a Regular Dental Check-Up?
Regular dental check-up costs vary depending on your dental insurance, the dental office you choose, and specific services that are included during your appointment. Most dental check-ups cost between $250 – $500 per appointment.
If you have dental insurance, then the insurance provider typically pays for preventive care – including check-ups and cleanings twice a year. If your insurance doesn’t pay for this appointment in full, then you might have a portion to pay in the form of a deductible or co-pay for your visit.
Schedule Your Dental Check-Up
How long has it been since your last dental check-up? If you are overdue for this appointment, then reach out to our team at myDental to book an appointment. You can learn more about available dental services and talk to us about your individual dental concerns.
At myDental, we provide family-friendly dental care for people of all ages. Choose the most convenient locations near your home or office. Call at your convenience when you are ready to schedule an appointment.